The third quarter of the year is over already?! I guess that means it’s time for an update on my goals for the new year. I posted our goals for 2017 in the beginning of January. As promised, I will be posting quarterly progress updates to hold myself accountable.
Overall, quarter one went pretty well. I think quarter two went even better. This past quarter I experienced a bit of a shift. I lost some steam in areas I did better in earlier in the year but had some real progress in my health goals.
There were lots of health changes this quarter. I started utilizing the personal trainer and gym at work in the beginning of August. We also adopted a plant-based diet around the end of August which has been great.
The business side of things hasn’t been so great. I’ve really been struggling to stick to a consistent schedule. My to-do list keeps growing!
Let’s take a look at where I’ve nailed it and where I’ve failed it. Then I’ll go over why I might have failed and how I can do better next quarter!
Goals and Progress so far
Family & Financial
- Finish fixing garage door (by summer)-not done yet, I forgot again!
Schedule monthly date nights (scheduled by end of January)–Nailed it! Still making sure to go out once a month for some quality one-on-one time. Clear out all eBay stuff (by end of summer)–Nailed it! Rummage sale set for July. Everything that doesn’t get sold gets donated! Complete office make-over (by end of summer)–Nailed it! Done, just need to move the grandfather clock.
- Pay off more than 12 months of our loan (by December 31)- Failed it. We took a real financial hit when I switched jobs, so this isn’t likely a goal we’re going to make by the end of the year.
Save 70% needed for next year’s family cruise-about $1750 (by November)– Cruises are the BEST family vacations! Nailed it! We’ve saved all of it!
- Reach $2,000 per month from this blog.
- Action steps
- Complete EBA Course (by September)- I’ve heard amazing things so I’m giving it a try! –Plugging my way along through Unit 3. No possible way to finish EBA by the end of the year with the schedule I’ve been keeping.
- Dedicate 10 hours per week minimum to blog (make a plan by February)-Using Rosemarie Groner’s 10 Hour Time Block Strategy-Failed it. I decided to try a different strategy this next quarter. The 10 hour time block just isn’t working for me. Nothing wrong with it, it’s just not my style.
- Come up with a product idea (by December 31)-Waiting until I get further along in EBA.
Health & Fitness
- Lose 45.2 lbs by December 31-less than 1 lb a week- I’m giving myself a yes on this one. I’ve lost almost 8 lbs this quarter! Pretty sure I’ve got way too much to lose in 3 months, but I’m going to get as close as I can!
- Action steps
- Reduce soda consumption-allowed when eating at a restaurant or during a movie-Failed it. Free soda at work is really hard to pass up. But I have been drinking less!
- Drastically reduce added sugar-Nailed it. We’re still keeping sweets out of the house.
- Eat out no more than once per month-Failed it.
- Be active 30 minutes five times per week.-Failed it. I was doing great for about a month and a half, but lost steam the past 3 weeks after having a tooth pulled and getting sick.
Plan quarterly checkpoints (March 31, June 30, September 30)–Nailed it! I planned out the checkpoint requirements. Which is how I know I’m not where I’m supposed to be by March 31st!
Get tooth taken care of- I need to have one pulled!–Nailed it! See allergist (by end of summer)–Nailed it. I’ve decided to stop going as it’s been at least 4 years and I’ve seen no improvement. It’s getting too expensive and time-consuming for no benefit. Eye exams for Kira and Andy (by spring)–Nailed it. New glasses and even new prescription sunglasses.
Improvements going into Quarter 4
The workout routines and transition to a plant-based diet have really been helping with the weight goals. I’ve lost almost 8 lbs and am feeling healthier. We’re also eating at home a lot more and really expanding our horizons with healthy foods!
Here are some of the things I’ve identified from quarter three that went wrong and how I intend to correct them in the coming quarter.
- I’ve been getting too comfortable each night relaxing and not working on the blog. I only have a few hours a night to get everything done. I’ve restructured my schedule so that I can be more committed to focusing on blog work. The 10 hour time block strategy felt too difficult to stick to.
- Financially, we’re headed in the right direction. There were so many things in the past few months that needed to be repaired or replaced that it pushed us a little further behind. We’re just going to go into quarter 4 with a very strict budget. That should get us back on track.
- We both forgot about the garage door AGAIN. Our weekends have been so jam-packed with family activities, household chores, and errands that it completely slipped our minds. The goal is to finish it before October is over. We don’t have much of a choice. It could start snowing any day!
I’m not on target anymore for most of the goals I have left, especially the business ones. But I’m going to leave the goals as is to push myself as close to my targets as possible. As the saying goes, “Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you’ll land among the stars.”
I always try to shoot for the moon with my goals. Are they usually too big and sometimes out of reach? Yes. But I accomplish way more than if I had minimized the goals from the beginning.
I’ve still got 3 months to conquer as much of this list as possible. Wish me luck!
How are your new year goals progressing?
-To your Better Life-