Every year, my family and I create a list of goals for the new year. I posted our goals for 2017 in the beginning of January. As promised, I will be posting quarterly progress updates to hold myself accountable.
Overall, quarter one went pretty well. I definitely made some progress in the financial category and a little in business. Health didn’t go quite as well. As I expected, that’s where I struggled most.
So let’s get into it. We’ll take a look at where I’ve nailed it, and where I’ve failed it. Then I’ll go over why I might have failed and how I can do better next quarter!
Goals and Progress so far
Family & Financial
- Finish fixing garage door (by summer)-not done yet, waiting for nicer weather!
Schedule monthly date nights (scheduled by end of January)–Nailed it! All planned out through the rest of the year. We’ve skipped none so far.
- Clear out all eBay stuff (by end of summer)-Completed phase one, now to just get rid of it all!
- Complete office make-over (by end of summer)-Got the new desk, chair, cabinets, and window. Cleared out several unnecessary pieces. Almost done!
- Pay off more than 12 months of our loan (by December 31)-Paid off two months so far, we’re on track!
Save 70% needed for next year’s family cruise-about $1750 (by November)– Cruises are the BEST family vacations! Nailed it! We’ve saved all of it!
- Reach $2,000 per month from this blog.
- Action steps
- Complete EBA Course (by September)- I’ve heard amazing things so I’m giving it a try! –One Unit two, gradually working my way through!
- Dedicate 10 hours per week minimum to blog (make a plan by February)-Using Rosemarie Groner’s 10 Hour Time Block Strategy-Failed it. Made the plan, but haven’t been following it completely. Need to step it up!
- Come up with a product idea (by December 31)-Waiting until I get further along in EBA.
Health & Fitness
- Lose 45.2 lbs by December 31-less than 1 lb a week-Failed it. I’ve lost nothing, but I also haven’t gained.
- Action steps
- Reduce soda consumption-allowed when eating at a restaurant or during a movie-Failed it.
- Drastically reduce added sugar-Failed it.
- Eat out no more than once per month-Failed it.
- Be active 30 minutes five times per week.-Failed it.
- Plan quarterly check-points (March 31, June 30, September 30)-Nailed it! I planned out the checkpoint requirements. Which is how I know I’m not where I’m supposed to be by March 31st!
- Get tooth taken care of-I need to have one pulled!-Failed it.
- See allergist (by end of summer)-Failed it.
- Eye exams for Kira and Andy (by spring)-Failed it.
Improvements going into Quarter 2
Clearly, I’m having some commitment issues with my health. I have a mega sweet tooth and it only increases when I’m stressed. Since my job is quite stressful, I’m finding it very difficult to keep to plan.
I can’t let that excuse keep me where I am currently. There will always be a reason to fail. I need to find a way to succeed. Here are some of the things I’ve identified from quarter one that went wrong and how I intend to correct them in the coming quarter.
- In the past week, I’ve recommitted myself to the soda and eating out rule. I’ve had a talk with Andy that I need him to be onboard. When my willpower is diminished on those rough days, I really need that extra support. It’s far too easy to give in when someone gives me the opportunity and makes it easy to make the wrong choice.
- In March, I started having my sister watch Zach for about five hours on Sundays. The hardest part of committing myself to 10 hours a week on the blog is giving up that 10 hours with my family. Sunday, however, Andy works and Zach naps for 2-3 hours during the day. So really, I’m only losing about 2 hours with Zach. And this way, if he does happen to wake up early, I don’t have to stop abruptly and go back to him. I can actually have a dedicated amount of time. This will take care of half of the time.
- I’m also intending to wake up earlier during the week. This is another time of day that I don’t have to take away from Andy and Zachary. If I can get 1 hour every morning during the week, that will be another 5 hours and complete my 10!
If I can stick to these, I should do much better with my time and health in the next quarter. Since it’s still early in the year, I’m hoping to not only succeed next quarter but also catch up to where I should be with my weight goal!
How are your new year goals progressing?
-To your Better Life-