Life can be rough and stressful and overwhelming. Sometimes you just want to turn your brain off. No one can be serious and deep in thought all the time. Since laughter is so good for you, take some time for yourself or with your spouse to simmer that brain down and have a good laugh!
One of my favorite ways to relax and enjoy time with my spouse or family is to watch a movie. It’s so relaxing! This is especially true if I’ve had a long, stressful day. Because kids, right? My go-to movies in these moments are lighthearted, simple comedies. Sometimes I just want a movie that makes me laugh.
Here are some of the best movies for when you need to laugh.
9 Great Movies That’ll Make you Laugh!
Disclaimer: Not all of these movies are appropriate for children! Mostly their pretty tame as we don’t really have vulgar or edgy senses of humor. But some of these are still bad enough in the language and situation department to not be for kids. Check out this post if you’re looking for great family movies for kids of all ages.
- Father of the Bride 1 & 2: I absolutely love Steve Martin. These two movies I loved before I got married and before I had a kid. They’re even funnier now that I’ve been through both!
- Planes, Trains & Automobiles: Another great Steven Martin movie, also starring John Candy. The situations in this one are ridiculous and there is some pretty cheesy 80’s dialog and music. But the rest is pure comedy gold.
- Grown Ups: Adam Sandler at his best, in my opinion. I liked his early stuff, but I really enjoy his movies where he takes on the Dad role and has to deal with life, kids, and growing older. This one is one of the best. But it’s also super ridiculous.
- Cool Runnings: Another John Candy one! Such great acting and such an interesting premise for a movie. Absolutely love John Candy as the grumpy wise-ass with a bunch of energetic and ambition young men.
- Popstar: Andy Samberg at his finest. This faux-documentary could not be more amazing. It’s so ridiculous, yet right on the edge of what one might think could actually be possible for a real self-centered popstar. You can’t help but love his character and the other characters are amazing as well.
- Blades of Glory: Pure ridiculousness from Will Ferrell and Jon Heder with lots of other amazing cast. I’m not even a huge Will Ferrell fan, but there are a few movies of his I can watch over and over. This is one of them.
- Step Brothers: Another Will Ferrell one made the list! This one is with John C Reilly. This one is a little more on the vulgar side than the others but is worth it. The premise is such nonsense, but it’s written and acted so well, you just can’t help but love the characters.
- Blended: Another Adam Sandler one I love. Joined by Drew Barrymore, this movie is hilarious. 50 First Dates was good, this is so much better. Every scene has lines that make me laugh, no matter how many times I watch it.
- The Heat: Who doesn’t love Melissa McCarthy and Sandra Bullock? Essentially this is a buddy cop movie with females. These two do not disappoint! I laughed so hard I cried a few times. McCarthy can play such a ruthless animal with such straight seriousness that you cannot help but laugh.
Go check out one of these movies tonight!
Next time you’re searching for movies when you need to laugh, remember this list! Some of these are older and some are newer. Some are more lighthearted and others have a few moments of serious story line. But all of them will have you laughing. They are ridiculous, well written and well acted. These have been on my list for a long time! I hope you’ll love them as much as I do!