There are two things I know for sure. Life is busy and life is expensive. So much so that sometimes, even fun things like decorating our home and birthday celebrations lose some of the joy. We’re too worried about spending too much or making enough time to get everything done. Sometimes, don’t you wish you just had a magic wand to make some of the stress of it go away? I know I do. And that’s exactly why I’ve compiled this list on how to save money on a few of those very things!
How to save money on birthdays, holidays and special events
When it comes to buying special items for parties, birthdays, holidays and special events and celebrations, I have found some amazing deals at two places; Dollar Tree and Party City. Despite the fact that I could make bargain hunting a part-time job, I was actually surprised to see how much I could really find at these two places. You could literally buy almost everything you need for a birthday or graduation party from Dollar Tree.
In the past, I had only gone to either of these when I was looking for something specific, like candy on our way to a movie or balloons for a birthday party. But at random, I decided to look around on a few different occasions at each place and I was amazed at what I found.
Gift bags that normally cost $4 at a regular retail store only cost $1 at Dollar Tree!
Birthday cards that are normally $4.99 at a regular retail store were only $1 at Party City and two for $1 at Dollar Tree!
Where has this information been all my life? Oh, the things I could have done with what I could have saved on birthday cards…
Below are a few of the amazing deals you can get at each location. Keep in mind that every store will carry a different selection and they will vary by season. However, most of this is available year-round at all stores.
- wrapping paper, including some of the kids’ favorite characters!
- gift bags
- birthday party decorations, again, some themes with popular characters such as Disney Princesses or Paw Patrol
- craft supplies for DIY decor
- candy for parties and treat bags
- helium inflated balloons
- Clearance and closeout full party themes are where you’ll find the best deals; there are huge discounts on discontinued themes and you can put together an entire party for a fraction of the cost of a new design.
How to save money on seasonal and home items
Several times a year, there are things I need that I forget to look for. And then I end up buying them wherever I see them. Huge mistake. I have found versions that cost only a few dollars days or weeks later at these locations. If any of the items below are things that come up periodically for you, do yourself a huge favor and make a separate list and seek them out at these locations. You’ll likely pick them up for way cheaper.
Again, keep in mind that every store will carry a different selection and they will vary by season. Aldi in particular switches out their deals on a seasonal basis.
- Seasonal and holiday decorations
- Outdoor decor and furniture
- Home maintenance items such as tools, step stools, ladders, etc.
- Home organization and storage
- Pillows and linens
- Smaller workout equipment, gear, and clothing
- Back to School clothing, backpacks, lunchboxes, shoes, and supplies
- After-school snacks
- Lunchbox goodies
Target-The Dollar Spot, specifically
- Back to School and teaching supplies
- Homeschool supplies
- Themed home decor
- Party decorations
- Gift bag fillers
- Small electronic accessories such as earbuds
- Paper goods for the kitchen
- Storage containers
- Small holiday decor
- Outdoor decor
- Seasonal activities for the kids
- Personal Care items
- Some small home maintenance and automotive items
I buy so many of these things throughout the year and I used to spend a ton buying them wherever I saw them. Even if I compared prices, it was always comparing prices between traditional retail stores…never comparing to these which are so much cheaper! I save money year round on all of these now because I always make the above locations the FIRST place I check, rather than running across it after I already bought it for three times the price.
Making this change has greatly reduced the stress I feel doing things that should be fun and increased the happiness! You too deserve to have a list of ways on how to save money in your back pocket so you can enjoy more and worry less. I hope these ideas help you the same way they’ve helped me!
What are some of your super simple go-to tips on how to save money? Share them in the comments!
-To your Better Life-